Cream Cheese Salmon Surprise
This recipe is from Annabel Karmel cookbook (find it at the Mackay Library), Annabel was one of the first authors that inspired me to have FUN in the kitchen, which in turn expanded my children’s enjoyment and nutrition. I’m always on the lookout for more ways to incorporate fish into our diet, as it is suggested that children should eat oily fish at least once per week, for brain and eye development. This recipe is now a family favourite.
2 Salmon fillets (skin off)
100g Philadelphia cream cheese
60g spinach leaves
1/2 lemon zest
Salt and pepper
Short crust pastry (store bought or homemade recipe here)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Place cream cheese, spinach, lemon, nutmeg, salt and pepper in blender and mix till combined.
3. Lay out pastry, place salmon on top and cut around leaving 2cm edge. Spread cream cheese mixture on top. Then place another pasty sheet on top and cut into fish shape.
4. Wisk egg in bowl, brush over pastry. This will help glue all decorative fish scales, fin and seal the sides together.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until browned and crisp.